Kenya Institute for the Blind is a government institution mandated to provide educational rehabilitation for newly blinded learners, train transcribers and in-service teachers who are teaching in institutions with learners who have a visual impairment.
The following is the criteria for selection of students in every category:
a. Newly blinded learners
– be school-going, or intend to further studies
– have medical record pertaining to loss of sight from a high hospital
– be able to meet the cost of training and accommodation
– must have KCSE D+ and above
– must be able to communicate well in English and Kiswahili
– working with persons who are visually impaired will be an added advantage
c. Teachers In-service course
– must be a trained teacher
– teaching in an institution with learners who are visually impaired would be an added advantage
d. Training schedule
Teachers and transcribers must be ready to attend classes for three weeks every school holiday for four sessions.